I love French desserts! Butter and cream-rich decadent desserts; what's not to love!
This is one of my favorite treats and it's perfect for Spring!
Preparation time: 40 min
Baking time: 20 min
Ingredients for the crust:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the crème pâtissière:
2 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
zest of 1 lemon
Ingredients for the topping:
1 pack of fresh strawberries sliced
1 pack unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup water
Preparation of the crust:
1) Using a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Add the butter and process until coarse crumbs form. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk with the cold water. Incorporate the egg mix and process until the mixture becomes a ball.
2) On a floured work surface, roll out the dough and press it on a 9 inch tart pan. Cover the pan with Saran Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3) Heat the oven to 375ºF.
3) Using a fork, prick the dough evenly at 1 inch interval.
4) Bake the crust for 20 minutes or until golden. Let it cool for 20 minutes.
Preparation of the crème pâtissière:
1) In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, lemon zest, vanilla and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth. Add the flour and mix.
3) Remove the milk from the heat and gradually, pour in the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture and whisk.
4) Pour the cream back in a clean saucepan and let simmer for 3-5 minutes while constantly whisking until the mixture becomes thick.
5) Strain the cream over a fine sieve into a glass bowl and cover the bowl with Saran Wrap. Let it cool.
Preparation of the gelatin:
1) In a small saucepan, combine 1 pack of gelatin with 1/2 cup cold water. Mix well.
2) Add the sugar and bring the mixture to boil while frequently whisking until the gelatin dissolves.
3) Let it cool.
Assembly of the tart:
1) Spread the crème pâtissière over the crust evenly.
2) Top with the sliced strawberries.
3) With a small teaspoon, pour the gelatin mix over the fruits.
4) Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.